Friday, July 25, 2008

Starting again.......

So......we're heading down the IVF road again. (Kind of like the yellow brick road.....only with needles, blood draws and the dildo-cam).

Saw my doctor again today (just for a check up pap) - he's not a Reproductive Endocrinologist as I see from most blogs is very popular to go to. (We don't even have a RE around my area - I don't think). Anyway, he started out as an OB-GYN and branched off into IF treatments early on. He's been practicing medicine for around 40 years....I do have a lot of trust in him, which is good.

So, I went in for my follow up pap but ended up talking about my next IVF cycle mostly. So here's the plan:

1. Start Birth Control Pills with my next period (which I was taken off of because of thrombophlebitis and the risk of DVT).
2. Start an 81mg Aspirin daily starting today because of the risk of DVT.
3. Increase Glucophage from 1000mg daily to 1000mg twice daily.
4. Call when I get my period to set up the mock transfer, set up cycle appt and endometrial biopsy for 2-3 weeks after period starts. (He's been reading research that says an Endometrial Biopsy the month before IVF will help increase implantation rates by ready-ing the endometrial lining).
5. Then hopefully I will be ready to start stimulation injections in late August/early September.

Weirdly I was kind of dreading this appt to talk about things. I think after the disappointment earlier this year I was just feeling almost a sense of dread about doing IVF again. Feeling like everything was going to be a big disappointment again. BUT - weirdly - I am feeling really hopeful about this cycle. I'm not near as nervous as I was last time because I know what to expect. I feel oddly optimistic.

Oh....also, we have 6 embryo's frozen from the first IVF cycle. We chose to go another fresh round this time as we do get some help from hubby's insurance for up to 3 cycles. (It does not pay for everything - so please don't hate me - but it does help out quite a bit). Anything's better than nothing right??? But it will only help for 3 cycles. So we talked with my doctor and he said he would recommend a fresh cycle since we have some financial help....and also since our frozen embryo's don't look that hot. (We have 3 good and 3 not so good frozen). Possibly enough for one frozen transfer in the future. (He said the total cost of a frozen transfer/FET would be about $2000 - which as you all know is WAY better than the $10,000-$15,000 for a fresh cycle). So if we are going to pay 100% of something it would be smarter to pay 100% of $2,000 than 100% of $10,000-$15,000.

That's the plan......so I didn't lose all the weight I wanted to before this cycle. (I lost a bunch and then gained about half of it back - kind of got depressed and fell off the wagon). But, hopefully that won't have too much of an effect on this cycle.

Thanks in advance for all the support.

Feeling "cautiously optimistic."

2 comments:

Io said...

Yay - I'm glad to hear you're gearing up again. I hope this cycle does it.

The Newmark's said...

I wish you luck and you are in my prayers every day!