Friday, March 27, 2009

Andrew Jack

So.....the story of Andrew Jack.

On Sunday 3/22 my mom called me at 9pm and said "there is a baby at the hospital with a cleft lip and palate that needs adopted. Are you interested?" I said....."what are you talking about?"

You see, my husband and I have been trying to have a baby for a while now. We have been through 2 failed IVF cycles and were going to try another one this summer. We thought about adoption but hadn't registered with an agency yet as we were still going to try more IVF first. (Adoption seeming to be so expensive and all.......).

Anyway, there's a labor and delivery nurse at the hospital (we'll call her "nurse baby" in this note). So "nurse baby" is a patient at the doctors office where my mom works as a medical assistant. And a while back, my mom being as talkative as she is with everyone (she makes friends with everyone she meets.....) she told her of our troubles and said "if you ever have a baby that needs a home give me a call." So "nurse baby" was working on Sunday (on a day she usually doesn't work and in post-partum that she usually doesn't work in) and she got assigned to the birth mother who wanted to give her baby up. "Nurse baby" remembered us/my mom and found the home phone number for the receptionist at the doctors office and called and asked her for my mom's number. She called my mom....then my mom called me.

Greg and I went up Sunday night at 10pm to see baby and birth mom. We spoke with her for quite some time.....came back the next morning and spoke with the social work, plastic surgery, financial counselors, nurses, and a lawyer.....and less than 24 hours after getting the call we were signing our initial paperwork for adoption.He had to stay a couple days in the NICU as he had to get put to sleep to get impressions made for his mouth as he is getting a splint made and fitted this coming Monday to help him eat better until his cleft palate and lip are repaired.

He is wonderful, perfect and we love him with all our hearts.

I feel that there were so many factors that had to be aligned for this to happen.......I think that God and our guardian angels/guides were looking out for us and I truly believe that he is meant to be ours.

His name is Andrew Jack. Andrew because that was our boy name that we had picked out with the IVF's. And Jack because when birth mom decided to give him up and we hadn't been called yet (we met him when he was 15 hours old).....the nursery nurses decided to "adopt" him and give him a name. They named him Jack. So we are keeping that as his middle name to honor those nurses that cared for him as their own during those 15 hours he was alone.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts, prayers and support.

10 comments:

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Here from LFCA...

Congratulations! What serendipity... though not entirely accidental. I foresee a very big mother's day gift coming up for your mom. :)

I love that you honored the nurses with his middle name.

Best wishes!

Io said...

I know I already commented on the facebook posting of this, but this makes me so happy to read again.

Soapchick said...

Here from L and F. Congratulations. He is beautiful - such chubby cheeks already. What a surprise, but a wonderful one! Enjoy motherhood.

Chelle said...

WOW. The heavens must have been looking upon you and this baby.

BIG CONGRATULATIONS! This is an amazing story!

Flmgodog said...

Here from LFCA.

Congrats on Andrew what a beautiful baby and what a huge blessing to your family.
My daughter was born with a cleft palate but no lip involvement. Good luck and best wishes!

Christy said...

What a beautiful baby boy! From one mom of an adopted Andrew to another, I offer my sincerest congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Some things are meant to be.

Congratulations.

tireegal68 said...

wow -I had to read your story after finding you on L and F. What an amazing story - your mom and the nurses all came through with flying colors. Not to mention that birth mom who gave him to you. Congratulations!
I hope you keep blogging:)

Monica H said...

This is beyond wonderful news. The best news I've heard in a long while. So, SO amazing.

And I love his name :-)

Many blessings to you my dear!

Hennifer said...

Wow, all I can say is wow! I've never been here before, came from Still Hopeful!

I hope you all live a very long and happy life together. It is just amazing!